Author Topic: Engineering/Registering a 1977 Transam  (Read 9041 times)

1977 Transam

Engineering/Registering a 1977 Transam
« on: January 14, 2011, 12:36:12 PM »
Hi.

Has anyone had to register an imported 1977 Transam?  I've changed the rear indicators to amber.  I've changed my headlights that are high and low beam to australilan ones so they dip correctly.

I don't know if I need to replace the seat belts (front and back) with new ones for australian standards as well as child anchor points in the rear.

Would anyone know what the requirements are please?

Thankyou.

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 01:47:02 PM »
What state are you located in??

1977 Transam

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 03:15:16 PM »
NSW thanks.

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 03:25:28 PM »
In matters like this, my advice is to do the bare minimum, because the more you do, the more it costs.

By the books, things like seat belts with have to be replaced, however, as far as I'm aware, child restraints aren't required, as they weren't in cars in 1978.

You could go to your blue slip guy and see how you go.  The worst he could do is knock you back.

Although my car is a '72 model, all I did was turn up a the blue slip examiners workshop on the day I took delivery of the car from WA.  In fairness, my (LHD) car was previously registered in WA, but neither the examiner or the RTA cared.  It had the rear blinkers changed to amber, but it had the original US seatbelts fitted.

Everything else is on the car is American, and it has no Australian compliance plate and has never been examined by an engineer.

I got it registered that day.

1977 Transam

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 03:37:53 PM »
So different to mine.  I'm being asked for the seat belts and child restraints.  Did you get yours done in Sydney or Wollongong?

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 04:57:48 PM »
Wollongong.  Seat belts I can understand, but as far as I'm aware, you only have to comply with the things that are year specific to your model.

Is this an engineer or a blue slip guy?

In any case, Chris our 'forum mechanic' will chime in soon.  Whilst I'm only speaking from my experience with my car, he'll tell you exactly what is needed.

1977 Transam

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 05:16:46 PM »
Both mechanic and Engineer.  I wish they were as laid back as the guys you got to pass your car for rego.

I've paid up to be at the Pontiac Nationals at Warwick.  Hopefully this thing will be ready by then.

I bought it in July.  Had it ready for shipment in August and it didn't get to Sydney until the 24th December.

I had to go the whole of xmas without it.

Really sucked.

I think I've had a bit of bad luck so far.  I'm sure it will turn around.

sms777

• Rally Licence
  • Sponsor & The Mechanic
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 07:13:52 PM »
G'day 1977 Transam!
Current rules according to Vehicle Standards Information Bulletin #40 in NSW state that left hand drive vehicles must meet NSW roadworthiness requirements as well as vehicle standards requirements "including any Australian Design Rules that applied at the time of manufacture"  
This is the key.
If you want to know these rules give me a call or drop by my workshop because it is fairly lenghty to list here.
For example child restraint rule came in July 1976, therefore you will need to fit one.

Cheers, Chris.  

Phone 02 9793 3332
Biggles, The Flying Mechanic

bluvelle

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 07:22:16 PM »
when my chevelle was shipped over from USA in august 2010. It had to have an L02 compliance check for NSW rego. This required lap sash retractable seat belts in the front and lap sash retractable belts in the outer rear positions. the centre rear belt remained a lap only belt. It had to have child restraint anchor points in both rear outer positions on the parcel shelf. The headlights had to be changed so that they dipped down & left from high to low beam. You will also need a weigh bridge ticket.  My car is a 68 model so it did not need to comply for emmisions.  They did say however that after 1975 was different. Make sure when you go to the RTA that you have originals, not copies of your import approval etc. I had to go back with originals.  http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/getnewrego/importedvehicles.html

see ya. Col.

sms777

• Rally Licence
  • Sponsor & The Mechanic
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 07:35:12 PM »
There is no such thing as L02 compliance in NSW. It is only a Queensland thing.
As I stated earlier any one need to look at current rules and regulations I have all the up to date documentations at my workshop and happy to consult with you free of charge.

There is no need to make it sound complicated because it isn't.

Cheers again, Chris.  

Phone 02 9793 3332
Biggles, The Flying Mechanic

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333