Author Topic: Horn on Steering Wheel  (Read 4471 times)

1977 Transam

Horn on Steering Wheel
« on: August 28, 2011, 12:27:48 PM »
Hi.

I'm trying to fix the horn on my steering wheel on the 1977 Transam and was wondering if anyone can help me please.

When I went to Warwick for the Pontiac Nationals a locksmith needed to pull apart the steering to check out the ignition.

Anyhow, when he put things back together I was left with no horn.

I pulled the steering wheel off this morning thinking that it's probably just a wire not connected but there's no wiring directly behind the steering wheel itself.

Can anyone explain to me please where in the steering column the horn wiring may be and how to reconnect it?

I thought it may of been a fuse blown for the horn as well but it doesn't seem as though older cars have specific fuses for the horn.

Thankyou.

bluvelle

Horn on Steering Wheel
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 07:28:27 PM »
There should be a brush type contact on the indicator switch assembly that runs on a copper ring on the back of the steering wheel. The wire that connects to the underside of the brush contact is usually a single connector independent of the rest of the wiring going to the indicator switch. Maybe this has been disconnected in the steering column??.

1977 Transam

Horn on Steering Wheel
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 06:26:13 AM »
Looks like I'll need to pull the steering column apart a little more to get one more layer removed.

I remember the locksmith having a lot of troubles to do that as he didn't have the right tools.  Funnily enough, neither do I.  He he.

I'll see how I go.  I've got to get a service manual for the Transam.  It'll make life a hell of a lot easier.

Thanks Bluvelle.

4SPEED

Horn on Steering Wheel
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 02:05:00 PM »
sounds like he didnt install the contact correct or at all when he put the hub back on.  its a little round  contact with a spring.  looks like the clicker end of an ink pen  

Steve

• Speedster
Horn on Steering Wheel
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 04:57:21 PM »
Quote from: 4SPEED link=topic=4536.msg28643#msg28643
sounds like he didnt install the contact correct or at all when he put the hub back on.  its a little round  contact with a spring.  looks like the clicker end of an ink pen  

yes i agree ,and its such a small part that is easy to lose

1977 Transam

Horn on Steering Wheel
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 06:58:59 AM »
Thanks for the response guys. I need to give him credit. He had never worked on one of these cars before. At least the ignitions still working. He he

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333