Author Topic: Transam Decals - Who can put them on  (Read 8411 times)

1977 Transam

Transam Decals - Who can put them on
« on: November 09, 2011, 07:22:45 AM »
Hi.

I've been searching for a few months now for someone who can do an extremely good paint job on my 1977 Transam.

I'm more stressed though about if the spray painter knows the correct way to apply the decals.

I've heard too many stories about decals being applied incorrectly.

Does anyone know of someone who would be capable of this please?

I'm especially interested if they've done anyone elses transams.

Thankyou.

LeighP

• Rally Licence
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 10:04:11 AM »
I've done three sets of 2nd gen decals, all turned out OK.

This is one of the moderator's cars...Joe74ta.

Give me a call if you want to talk about how its done etc...its not too hard, just takes some attention to detail. 0417680623 Leigh.
Do you have the decal set yet? If so, are they the papaer backed ones, or the plastic backed ones?
Regards,
Leigh
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400

LeighP

• Rally Licence
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 10:06:20 AM »
PS...I'm just getting my car painted...hope its going in this Friday.

I settled on Wreck-a-Mended Smash repairs in Ingleburn. They do a lot of classic US/Aussie cars and have been around a while. Guys name to talk to is Alan.
Regards,
Leigh

1977 Transam

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 07:41:06 AM »
I haven't got the decals yet.  Will be buying them from Dave at Pontiworld.

I want to find someone who can paint the car, apply the decals and clear coat straight afterwards.

Not sure if a spray painter will be comfortable doing it.  

It would be great if I could chat to you closer to the time Leigh to get an idea of how hard it is to apply them.  

joe74ta

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 10:21:32 AM »
I strongly advise that you do not clear cote over the Decal as they will crack the clearcote around the decal the first hot day. Phoenix graphix even recommend against waxing the Decal.

joe74ta

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 10:28:47 AM »
Here is a link to a post that is all about applying your decals.

http://allgentransams.com/forum/index.php?topic=1495.0

LeighP

• Rally Licence
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 03:58:47 PM »
I also advise against clear coating over the decals....vinyl has a wildly different expansio nand contraction rate to painted steel....eventually the paint will crack along the edge of decal.
Phoenix Graphix recommends the use of 303 Protectant over the decals...it has UV blockers in it and no silicones...great stuff.

With modern vinyl and the cars living a more pampered existance, theres no reason your decal won't last 30+ years....I've seen well looked after original decals that still look good after 30 years.

Happy to talk to you about it anytime....if you want to put them on after the car is painted, come over we'll do them like we did for Joe....a decal and BBQ day. You need two-three people for the hoodbird.
Regards,
Leigh

1977 Transam

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 06:58:46 AM »
Thanks for the advice Joe and Leigh.

Bbq day sounds great.

Why I mentioned a clear coat (and I understand why not to do it now thanks) is because when I got my car from Transam Florida they placed new pin striping on.  When I went to the Pontiac Nationals I had pin striping.  When I came back and stopped at Coffs Harbour I had less pin striping as several strips had peeled off and broken from the rain pelting it.  I was shattered that day.

A good week turned into a bad one in an instant.  Ever since then I haven't taken it to a show n shine because I don't think it deserves to be there in the state it's in (got 2nd place at the nationals).

One of the clubs sponsors does a laminate system for cars.  I was hoping to paint it, apply decals and then get them to laminate my car to protect against them coming off again, and from chiping.  Also it would make it a hell of a lot easier to get cleaned up for a show.

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 02:53:34 PM »
Quote from: 1977 Transam link=topic=4695.msg29253#msg29253
Ever since then I haven't taken it to a show n shine because I don't think it deserves to be there in the state it's in

If it starts and runs, it deserves to be there, don't worry about the rest.

1977 Transam

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 06:28:00 PM »
I guess you're right Bonnevista. It would just be nice if she looked good at the same time. The bandits car never seemed to scratch or even get dirty in the movie. He he.

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333