Author Topic: Coil over suspension Vs Stock Suspension Setup  (Read 5311 times)

1977 Transam

Coil over suspension Vs Stock Suspension Setup
« on: December 09, 2011, 07:18:54 AM »
Good morning.

I wanted to renew the suspension on my 1977 Transam.

One suspension place told me I would be better off placing a set of coil over shocks front and rear for the T/A as it will ride better, and handle better around corners.  Also be adjustable.

Has anyone had any experience with doing this to their car.  He advised me no brackets would be needed and they would bolt straight onto my car.

Any feedback would be appreciated.  He was talking $2200 for the front and same for the rear.  Sounds like a lot of money but I do want it to handle.

It's currently bottoming out on the back and can't go round corners without losing it's track on the road.

LeighP

• Rally Licence
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 04:51:51 PM »
Sounds like you need a good inspection of the front and rear suspension......
It sounds like he's talking about coil assisted shocks, rather than true coil-over shocks.

Coil assisted shocks replace your standard shocks and bolt straight in, basically, they make up for crappy worn out springs. Personally, not something I'd use.

True coil-over shocks can be bought for our cars, but are not a direct bolt in...at the front you'll need either tubular lower control arms (best purchased with matching upper arms) or SPC Performance does sell coil-over lower mounts for the stock arms (p/n 95338).
Ridetech do an adjustable true coil-over for the 2nd gens which has great feedback.
At the rear, a true coil-over conversion replaces the leaf springs....you need a top mount for the coil-overs as well as a triangulated four bar system to locate the axle.
There are various ones on the market, but Ridetech is again my favourite due to the cost and simplicity. Its a true "bolt in" kit. Some kits, like the DSE Quadralink, require floorpan mods and are more expensive to fit.  

If you go over to All Springs in Heathcote Rd Liverpool, they have a spring making shop on site...they can set you up with new springs front and rear. Couple these springs with some quality shocks and a rebuild of all the wear items (eye bushes, shackle rubbers, front end stuff) and your car should handle well.
I'd add Subframe connectors, solid body mounts to the above and you should be pretty happy with the outcome.

If you're interested at all, I have a new set of Pro-Touring F-Body GT front springs (about 1" lower than stock ride height) and a set of PTFB subframe connectors and solid body mounts - all for sale.
Regards,
Leigh
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400

LeighP

• Rally Licence
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 04:54:57 PM »
PS....you can make your car handle and ride very nicely for WAY less than that quote of $2200 for each end of the car....

For the sort of money he's quoting, you could be running tubular front arms upper and lower with tru coil-overs and a four link coil over rear...and probably a little change.

The replacement springs, rebuild the wear items etc and add subframe connectors would come out a lot cheaper.
Regards,
Leigh

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 06:26:34 PM »
I agree with everything Leigh has said.  You'd also be aware that as a general principle, better handling will mean stiffer suspension, which puts a bit more stress on the car overall.  

As you have a t top car, I reckon the first thing you'll need is subframe connectors.  If you upgrade the suspension without them, be prepared for the car to creak, groan and rattle it's way around the twisty bits.  

You'll notice that they never put 455's and t tops together as an option - there's a reason for that.  

1977 Transam

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 10:04:45 AM »
Hi guys.  Sorry for the late reply.

I had a post a while ago relating to the sub-frame connectors and was going to do them at the same time as the suspension.  All bushes/rubbers are being replaced as well as time has taken it's toll.

Thanks for the offer leigh re: the springs. I want to keep the original ride height though.

I appreciate the advise Bonnevista.  Wish I had a 455 though.  He he.

I think T-tops aren't all they're cracked up to be.  My prior Transam didn't have t-tops and I didn't have the creaking and leaking issues back then.

I think I'll just get some upgraded suspension without going the coil overs.  I'll replace the springs with a set of new ones, change the rubbers and do the sub-frame connectors.

Not the best time of the year to have to do it with all the xmas expenses and all.

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 10:41:44 AM »
As well as the t top issue, the other reason they didn't put 455's and late 2nd gens together is they only put turbo 400 transmissions behind 455's (when chosing an automatic).  With the inclusion of catalitic converters, the T/400 won't fit.

LeighP

• Rally Licence
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 01:46:47 PM »
Cheapest way out will be Liverpool Allsprings....and they do a good job and will set your ride height where you want it.
Buy new eye bushes and shackle bushes (you may need a shackle kit as often the shackle pins are rusted) and take them with you so they can fit the new stuff with your new springs.
Regards,
Leigh

1977 Transam

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 07:37:41 AM »
I'll chat to Liverpool Allsprings thanks.  The only thing I have already changed is the shackle bushes.  They had to cut the old ones off as they were rusted in so much.  I'll go do a safety inspection and see what needs replacing.  I wish I had a car hoist.  Oh and a workshop to house it.  he he.

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333