Author Topic: It's not a real car if you don't have airconditioning - and a towbar...  (Read 2168 times)

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
Recently, I wrote a little story about driving the barge to Adelaide for Christmas.  I mentioned in the story, that the A/C threw in the towel at Mittagong, barely an hour into the trip.

To fix it, I had to have the compressor replaced, as the clutch seized. Anyway, this time, instead of getting a reconditioned (original type) A6 compressor,

http://www.classicautoair.com/1977_Pontiac_Grand_Prix.html?k=1977-grand-prix-a6-compressor

I had new S6 compressor fitted (under warranty).

http://www.classicautoair.com/1977_Pontiac_Grand_Prix.html?k=s6-replacement-compressor

These compressors are reasonably new to the marked and are made by Sanden, who make all those 'universal' compressors that you see in a lot of older cars with underdash units fitted.

These S6 units weigh less than half of the old A6 and are a bolt in replacement with no mods required when using factory brackets. Also, even though the output is the same as the original, it takes less horsepower to drive, so if you have a 'lumpy' cam, your idle isn't affected as much.

The down side would be for those of us that want the 'orignal' look. The one I have fitted has a raw aluminium finish, however, they are available in black and chrome as well.

For me, it was a no-brainer, as I just wanted reliable, working A/C for my daily driver barge, with a minimum of fuss and a maximum of cold air.

The work was done by John Wallace of Wallace Automotive in Castle Hill, Sydney ph. 98940366. John just does car A/C - he's not an auto electrician that does A/C on the side. He really knows his stuff.

69DirtyRat

• Top Fuel Pilot
I gotta fix the Burban a/c at some stage! It's got separate front and back ac that needs to be hooked up somehow! Might have to look into that
1969 Corvette ZL-1 540ci 755hp
1972 Chevy Suburban 454ci
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 Limo 390ci 325hp
www.ratpackmuscle.com

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333