Author Topic: NEWBIE ALERT NEWBIE ALERT  (Read 10547 times)

nonricer

NEWBIE ALERT NEWBIE ALERT
« on: January 17, 2014, 09:57:48 PM »
Hey guys, i'm new here, my name is Aaron Jordan and i live in North-Western Sydney.
I am 16 and in year 11.
My life revolves around school, family and cars.
My father is a diesel/plant mechanic with over 35 years experience, one of his friends is an engine builder and my mother works in administration at a smash repair shop.
Even though i am new here i will help when help is needed and i am able to help.
When i am 18 i plan on getting my Security guards licence, firearms permit etc. and becoming an armored car guard.
What are your opinions on this and is anyone on this forum a security guard?
Thank you for welcoming me to the forum. :thank:

roadhound

Re: NEWBIE ALERT NEWBIE ALERT
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 06:24:24 AM »
Aaron its nice to see your post good luck in your choice of career.
This is predominatly a club site about cars and outings.
You are some ways from being able to enjoy what this club offers
To drive an American V8 is some ways off for you right now with all those requirements
needed in licensing eg P plate rules.
There is a big deal show at Castle Hill plaza this sunday
Our club will also be there  come and say hi ...cheers

1977 Transam

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 07:51:01 AM »
Hi Aaron.

It's great to see your interest in muscle cars mate.

I got my first 1978 Transam at 20.  It was a great feeling.

I'm an accountant by trade so wouldn't be able to shed any light on security.

I do have my firearms licence though so if you need any advice feel free to PM me. Quite happy to answer any questions you have.

The Muscle Car Show at Castle Hill is a good one and it's what got me into American Muscle.  It's on this Sunday.  Try and make it there if you can.

I'd turn up early morning as cars tend to leave once it gets a bit hot around lunch time.

Do you have a particular favourite car you've got your eyes set on?

nonricer

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 09:18:02 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome guys.
Yeah i don't really have a favourite as such as i oddly i am one of those guys whom is really interested in cars, yet doesn't really affiliate with any brand as such.
What i would like to do is make a retro mod muscle car. And maybe participate in Club events and Historic racing.
Apparently there changing the law, for P plates about what cars you can drive and making it a power to weight law of 130 kw per tonne.

nonricer

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 11:25:18 AM »
Ok i have 2 questions.
1. How much does it cost to convert a car from left to right hand drive.
2. How would me being on anti-depressants, due to my low level aspergers affect me being a security guard and having a firearm etc.
My psychologist said that there shouldn't be any problems.
And apparently security guards are allowed prohibited hand guns and shot guns.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2010-03-12/security-guards-allowed-high-powered-guns/361148

69DirtyRat

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 09:59:20 PM »
On the Conversion ques, it all depends on the car, say 15K for older cars and up to 75K for the new Corvette!!!
BUT any car 30 years or older doesnt need Conversion to RHD and I wouldnt recomend changing it over because it ruins the engineering of a perfectly good Left Hand Drive car!
1969 Corvette ZL-1 540ci 755hp
1972 Chevy Suburban 454ci
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 Limo 390ci 325hp
www.ratpackmuscle.com

LeighP

• Rally Licence
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 10:00:54 PM »
Licencing requirements vs medical issues would probably best be handled by contacting the licencing authority for Security Licences. I know they have different classes depending on whether you're armed or not.

Asking price on a coversion is a bit like asking how long is a piece of string.....depends on a range of factors.

I think most people into American cars would tell you not to have a car converted to RHD if it's older than 30 years old....stay LHD and drive it that way. Cheaper, and you can get all the parts you need to fix stuff without worrying about engineering conversions.
Regards,
Leigh
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333