Author Topic: 4th Gen Pontiac with LS1  (Read 10797 times)

Zoltan

• Speedster
  • Welcome
4th Gen Pontiac with LS1
« on: March 02, 2014, 08:30:01 PM »
Hello everyone, I'm 1 week away from picking up a 98 Pontiac Firebird Formula auto. This is the first year these cars come with the LS1 and it also has Ram Air, which does not look the same as the later models... is there anything I should look out for in this car??

Problems, issues, rust spots, conversion nasties?? Any suggestions for things to look out for are welcomed.

LeighP

• Rally Licence
Re: 4th Gen Pontiac with LS1
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 07:13:04 AM »
Can't really help with anything 4th gen specific, but welcome to the forum.  :cool:
Regards,
Leigh
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400

69DirtyRat

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 10:32:07 PM »
I dont think we even got another 4th Gen Pontiac in the club, do we?
1969 Corvette ZL-1 540ci 755hp
1972 Chevy Suburban 454ci
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 Limo 390ci 325hp
www.ratpackmuscle.com

silverz

• Speedster
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 09:35:34 AM »
Welcome to the forum Z and hi Andy & Leigh. I think we did have another? Paul's immaculate ruby maroon '96 Trans Am, though I think it's a radical show car now with twin turbo big block, scissor doors and 22" mags with extreme low profiles. Cheryl's neat green Z28 is a 4th Gen Camaro with a fully functioning Trans Am bonnet and ram air system. Not many Gen 4's in Oz but increasing in number lately, I had my LT1 replaced with the LS1 by SMS as detailed in "Chris's tech tips". As in all models of the Chevrolet Camaro Z28/ Pontiac Firebird Trans Am there is high commonality of components. Lacking any other input I will detail some of my experiences and tips over the last 6 years assuming it's a Targa top model as most Trans Ams seem to be.

Rust:- The usual areas, all 4 footwells and the deep boot Targa stowage from above & below, below the battery spill tray. Pay very close attention to the structural support beam between the Targa tops at both end attach points and around the seals. I changed one on my '82 Z28 Indy pace car, only took a few hours but refitting the seals can be an issue as detailed elsewhere on the site.

Conversion;-  A lot of RH conversions are not total, e.g. my DVD stowage compartment is still angled more to the now pax position and the bonnet release catch is also on the pax side. No big deal but ensure you have both paperwork and attached compliance plate for the changeover. Check the aircon function to see if the airbox and ducting hasn't suffered during the change. My compressor delivers near freezing temps but only high teens at the vent outlets. (into Autofrost shortly).

Immobiliser/security module:- Due to intermittent starting, I have trashed 2 of these in 6 years, not cheap at over $450 each? The size of a small cigar box, it lives in the quarter panel near the driver's feet by memory. So do a few starts and check all remote security function including the boot release.

Doors;- At close to 1.5 metres long and carrying anti intrusion crash bars, the doors are very heavy. Check for hinge wear by lifting at the back end, particularly the left which used to be the US driver's side. These are easily replaced using a car jack in around 4 hours for less than $20 in pins & bushes. Ensure the auto cancel function is working on the electric window switches. I have burnt out 3 window motors due to overheating. If you have 4 elbows in each arm they're easy to change.

Targa Tops;- For total security, make sure the TT's are supplied with keys as they are fully lockable on this model. There should also be 2 velcro backed Targa shade infills supplied on this model. Tip, without a manual til recently, I didn't realise the Targas can be locked down into the boot using the normal attached handle, so as to avoid them bouncing around in an accident or on bad roads.

Electric fuel pump;- This is a pig to access on the Gen4. Being atop the tank, the tank has to be dropped. To drop the tank you have to drop the diff/rear axle assy! Most owners now fit a reinforced access panel in the boot directly above the pump/sender as Chris & Toby did with mine.

Hope this helps,
Cheers, Bob
www.tropicanapress.com.au

Zoltan

• Speedster
  • Welcome
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 01:09:51 PM »
Thanks Bob :cool:

LeighP

• Rally Licence
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 12:42:15 AM »
There you go, someone had to know the 4th gen tips.  :cool:
Regards,
Leigh
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400

MOPARMAN

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 06:18:34 AM »
Crickey Bob. I hope you can type fast cause that would have taken me about a day.

silverz

• Speedster
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 05:31:45 PM »
No Keith, even though I'm a novelist I'm a slow typist and with numerous interruptions I often time out on forums. I cheat by typing in a separate document at my leisure as I think of stuff then edit, copy, paste.
Cheers, Bob.
www.tropicanapress.com.au

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333