Author Topic: Help! Car died...!  (Read 5620 times)

Zoltan

• Speedster
  • Welcome
Help! Car died...!
« on: October 18, 2014, 04:35:26 PM »
If anyone with auto electrical knowledge is passing by the Padstow area anytime this weekend, I'd appreciate a phone call... my car has died and won't start (even with jump start)  :thud:

I've parked a few minutes down the road from where I live - please call me on 0425 212 286 if you're willing to help.

joe74ta

• Top Fuel Pilot
Re: Help! Car died...!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 05:34:46 PM »
Im not an auto electrician but it sounds like Distributor Module to me  :thud: they just quit no warning due to heat here is a link to the part best buy two of them and keep one in the glove box.

https://pontiworld.com.au/usgmsp/product_info.php?cPath=207_230&products_id=4294&osCsid=659ff6f1cf797ca195df5e657034dc60

silverz

• Speedster
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 06:17:35 PM »
Hi Peter, just saw your post, but not much info? Joe might be right as I had one of these fail a few years back. I’m no auto elec so I’d normally call the NRMA. Failing that, there are a few things you could check before calling Dave McIlhagga on Monday to aid troubleshooting. There are 2 normal fuses you could check in the fuse box, a 5 & a 10 related to ignition. This might be oversimplifying but it has to be either spark or fuel. If it’s cranking and you know it has fuel, pull a plug lead and see if you get a fat spark when you arc it to earth.  If you do then it might be worth opening a fuel line upstream of the pump to see if you’re getting good flow when cranking. (Could be a faulty pump, gauge or transmitter). Be careful jumpstarting, on some models it’s easy to fry a computer.
Good luck, Bob.

Zoltan

• Speedster
  • Welcome
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 07:08:50 PM »
Hey Bob,
Well, it ran ok for a minute, took it outside, opened the doors to pack the car, then it would not start. I thought that this was because I left the doors open too long whilst loading up, we where in a hurry, so I unloaded everything into Jen's car, then I jump started it, all was good, I put it into the garage and left.
Came back hours later, it started fine, drove down the road then the taco was bouncing a bit, then engine cut out, I started it again, then it cut out again and after that, I could not start it up again.

Not cranking, not getting power at all. I can hear a faint ticking noise from the dash, but that's it. So, perhaps the alternator is not charging the battery, but it does not really explain the cut out whilst driving.

How annoying. I just keep getting one problem fixed and another one shows up. I'm trying not to panic, but I'm beginning to lose faith in the reliability of this car.

It's getting dark now, so if I get a chance, I'll take a look tomorrow, but I'm out of my depth with this one.

Zoltan

• Speedster
  • Welcome
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 07:12:40 PM »
Joe: My car is a 98, which has an LS1, this part is for the previous LT1 models. My understanding is the LT1 had more issues with this part than the later LS1??

The good news is, I broke down within walking distance from Padstow Auto Electrical, the bad news is, I'm out of action this weekend.

Thanks guys

silverz

• Speedster
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 07:57:28 PM »
Welcome to the world of American Muscle cars! Sounds like one for Dave at Padstow auto electrics. Does seem like the alternators not charging or your battery's had it & not taking a charge? I had a similar event once & it was a loose battery earth lead at the block.

SeventytwoGt

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 10:04:11 PM »
With the tacho bouncing around, it sounds like a flat battery to me. Try charging it up, or swap over a battery and see how it goes.

Zoltan

• Speedster
  • Welcome
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 10:13:50 PM »
flat battery?  Even if the jump start did not work? Is that possible? I would have thought that once the car is running, a flat battery should not cause the power outage...?

73Transam

• Speedster
    • pontiac68@optusnet.com
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 05:38:19 AM »
Hi Buddy,
Yes a battery that has dropped a cell or old will not hold any charge at all and will cause the car to do many strange things,I would check Alternator or battery for sure, I remember with my 3rd Gen Transam when the alternator packed it in the car was also having problems selecting gears as this was also electronic :banghead:

Zoltan

• Speedster
  • Welcome
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 08:15:27 AM »
ok, I will give it more of a charge today and if it gets power, I'll leave it at the auto electrician, wish me luck!

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333