Author Topic: Buying a car from the usa  (Read 6448 times)

68PONY

Buying a car from the usa
« on: February 08, 2010, 07:44:46 PM »
Well i bought a car on evilbay last friday morning in california, after making some inquiries i was able to find someone to check the car out, but he could not get there till after the auction ended , i informed the seller that i would bid on the car and if i won before transferring money i wanted someone to make sure the car existed and that all paper work was okay ,he agreed, i won the auction and rang my contact  and told him that while he is there to go over the car , well thank god he inspected the car ,here is what the add said
quote" I WELCOME ALL BIDDERS  TO MY 1956 PONTIAC  CHIEFTAIN 870  DELUXE CATALINA. AVAILABLE FOR THE FIRST TIME ON EBAY. 4 DOOR ALL ORIGINAL  WHIT  MATCHING # 316 MOTOR. AND IT IS IN PERFECT RUNNING CONDITION ITS BEEN MAID IN SOUTH GATE CALIFORNIA.  AND BEEN  IN CALIFORNIA ALL ITS LIFE. THIS CAR 100% RUST FREE AND THE UNDER CARRIAGE IS 100% RUST FREE.  CLEAN CALIFORNIA TITTLE  IT HAS RARE FACTORY A/C ITS AN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION   THE PAINT IS STILL VERY SHINY AND STILL LOOKS GREAT IT IS RED AND WHITE. WHIT MATCHING INTERIOR ALSO RED AND WHITE. THE INTERIOR IS REAMING ALL ORIGINAL AND IT LOOKS GREAT.  ALL THE CROM IS STILL VERY SHINY  ALWAYS GARAGE KEPT MY GRAND FATHER PURCHASE   THE CAR BRAND NEW AT PONTIAC DEALER SHIP IN CALIFORNIA ITS BEEN FAMILY OWNED EVER SINCE . IT HAS A ORIGINAL AM RADIO AND WORKS GREAT. AND HAS ORIGINAL HUB CAPS . ALL ELECTRIC WORKS ON THE CAR SUCH AS HEAD LIGHTS BRAKE LIGHTS INTERIOR LIGHT BLINKERS HEATER WORKS GREAT STILL HAS ORIGINAL INDIAN HEAD ON TOP OF THE BACK SEAT. PEOPLE WHIT 0 STARS PLEASE CALL BE FOR BIDDING PLEASE (925) 864-9795 THANKS. AND HAPPY BIDDING quote" guy can't spell either here is a pic of the car, the under carrage shot was from the guy that inspected the car,
This is what 100% rust free under carrage looks like to the seller, obviously i didn't pay for the car.
The car looked great in the photos but the inspector found dodgy paint repairs and a cheap redo of the interior , basicly this w@#ker was fulla  bulla.
So beware.

joe74ta

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 09:00:09 PM »
YES THATS A PONTIAC there is hope for the hooligan.
Better luck next time mate that's EBay.

GTA390

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 09:13:28 PM »
Chris in America that is rust free, you want to see one with rust :rol:
Just check out the sh#tters that have no rails left, thats rust, usually from a cooler climate than california.

65pony

• Speedster
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 09:51:04 PM »
aww she's not too bad, bitta bog n she'll be like new :rol::rol::rol:

isnt that the Pontiac way?? :gotya:

anyway im sure you didnt pay as much as some do for rust... check it out, i don't think there's a solid anything on the car

http://www.carsguide.com.au/site/news-and-reviews/car-news/rusty_1925_bugatti_gets_408000

Muzzy 66

• Rally Licence
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 10:34:07 PM »
Lucky there Chris..

When I was looking for mine I went to a consignment place in Sydney looked at a fastback,I could put my fist in the rail on the drivers side,,I walked away the guy said what would you offer,I said I wouldnt,He said why,cause of the rail.I said so you know about it,"They all have that",He said.:rol::boxing:

Growing old is inevitable,Growing up is optional.!!!!!  66 Mustang Coupe.

GTA390

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 03:32:08 PM »
Quote from: joe74ta link=topic=2933.msg16860#msg16860
YES THATS A PONTIAC there is hope for the hooligan.
Better luck next time mate that's EBay.

Its ok Joe he's on medication, it will wear off :lol:

Hemihunter

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 10:28:45 PM »
Gess if you call that Rust, you would never have even glanced at mine when i got it...
that looks pretty minor for Rust repairs in the pics... and looks like a decent car ...

Steve

• Speedster
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 10:35:34 PM »
Quote from: Hemihunter link=topic=2933.msg16968#msg16968
Gess if you call that Rust, you would never have even glanced at mine when i got it...
that looks pretty minor for Rust repairs in the pics... and looks like a decent car ...

Tend to agree with that
what was the price that was "paid" for the car

stanglover

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 10:15:20 AM »
I guess what 68PONY is trying to point out is that it was advertised and sold as rust free car!
It's the deception that p1sses people off.
Someone would have probably paid the same price advertised even if it was advertised as "some rust repairs required". Atleast it shows honesty and the buyer knows upfront what he's in for.

bonnevista

• Top Fuel Pilot
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 10:21:29 AM »
Whilst clearly the owner misrepresented the condition, it would be virtually impossible to find a 54 year old car that's 100% rust free on an original body.  

Also consider, during the '60's, '70's and probably most of the '80's, you couldn't have given that car away, so keeping a car like that in a climate controlled garage, would have been pretty unlikely.

Phone 02 9829 5072

Phone 0438 658 458

Phone 0432 136 333